- Tournament Tentative Schedule
- Age Categories
- How do I know if I belong in Blue/Red/Green Shell Circuit?
- What if I registered for the wrong Level
- Team Tournament Rules
TENTATIVE TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
Our new badminton season starts in the beginning of the calendar year* and ends with a Team Tournament by the end of the calendar year*. Rankings will be given to all players participating in the “Blue Shell” circuit as well as the “Yellow Shell” circuit in each of the following 5 tournaments we offer during the season:
|12.1 Drive x BV||April 7 – 10, 2023|
|12.2 PoCo||May 26 – 28, 2023|
|Team Championship 2023||Winter|
* Subject to change; Might be slightly different from year to year depending on conditions and demands.
** The Team Championships does not count towards your ranking.
For this season, to enter:
Open category- Anyone that wishes to participate is welcome.
Blue Shell – ‘Aim for the Top!’
“Blue shells are one of the most devastating items. When released, the blue shell will lock on to the player in first place and dive downward, creating an explosion that will spin out the first-place driver and any other drivers nearby.” – Mario Kart
The crème de la crème of all Badmintology circuits! This fierce circuit challenges the competitor and allows you to chart your progress with a ranking system. Collect ranking points and earn your team a berth at the team championship at the end of the season. Played with feather shuttles, this circuit is intended for experienced players looking for competition beyond their regular badminton sessions.
Join this circuit if you:
- Have competed in any Badminton BC sanctioned tournaments or
- Have won medals at any B tournaments
- Have won two Yellow/Red Shell circuit tournaments
- Love competitions and want to challenge yourself
Yellow Shell – ‘Just aim forward!’
“A combo item that tries to aim at the opponent whose rank is one higher than the driver’s, but also a projectile weapon that shoot forward in a straight line and is able to rebound from walls and ricochet several times.” – BV (interpreting a combination of the former Red Shell and Green Shell)
The breeding ground for tomorrow’s superstars! This circuit offers an opportunity to compete against fellow competitors of intermediate level. It is designed for those that plays regularly and wants to compete, albeit in a recreational atmosphere. Played with nylon shuttles, develop your skills and gain experience in this circuit in order to graduate to Blue Shell circuit! Once you won two Yellow Shell tournaments in the same event in the same season, you are required to move to the Blue Shell circuit for the season.
Join this circuit if you:
- Plays badminton on a regular basis
- Want to compete but not ready for the more advance players
- Have never won any medals at any tournaments
- Just want to have fun, chill and enjoy the tournament environment
– The Yellow Shell Circuit (formerly known as BaddiBoomer and Red Shell) resets every season. Therefore, past winners of the circuit can once again join the circuit to start the season.
–We reserve the right to move you up a category at our discretion.
Red Shell – ‘Aim in front of you!’
“Home in on the opponent whose rank is one higher than the driver’s.” – Mario Kart The breeding ground for tomorrow’s superstars! This circuit offers an opportunity to compete against fellow competitors of intermediate level. It is designed for those that plays regularly and wants to compete, albeit in a recreational atmosphere. Played with nylon shuttles, develop your skills and gain experience in this circuit in order to graduate to Blue Shell circuit! Once you won two Red Shell tournaments in the same event in the same season, you are required to move to the Blue Shell circuit for the season. Join this circuit if you: Play badminton on a regular basis and/or trains in group or private lessons Want to compete but not ready for the more advance players Have never won any medals at any tournaments Note: – The Red Shell Circuit (formerly known as BaddiBoomer) resets every season. Therefore, past winners of the circuit can once again join the circuit to start the season. –We reserve the right to move you up a category at our discretion. Green Shell – ‘Just aim!’ “Green Shells appear as a projectile weapon. Racers can shoot Green Shells forward in a straight line to hit opponents. Unlike the Red Shell, the Green Shell is able to rebound from walls and ricochet several times.” – Mario Kart For the free loving spirits who just wants to play and have fun. This is a circuit where you go to unwind and socialize. Played with nylon shuttles, this circuit is best suited for players looking to dip into competitive badminton and don’t know where to start. Develop your game experience here and advance to Red and Blue Shell circuits when you are ready! One victory in Green Shell Circuit and you are promoted to Red Shell circuit for at least that season.
Join this circuit if you: Just started competing or have never played in tournaments before Have never won any medals at any tournaments Just want to have fun, chill and enjoy the tournament environment
How do I know if I belong in Blue/Yellow Shell Circuit?
As a general rule, if you have never played in a tournament before and just want a taste of what is out there, try the Yellow Shell circuit.
If you have never made it past the second round of any outside tournament; we suggest you wet your feet with the Yellow Shell circuit. This circuit is for those that has been taking lessons or have been dominating his/her badminton group but have never try their hands at any tournaments to take the next step and play against the rest of Vancouver.
For those use to winning or be near the top, the Blue Shell circuit is for you. If you are a provincial level player or a perennial semi-finalist, look to challenge yourself here. If you won two Yellow/Red Shell circuit tournaments, you belong here too.
Go to Top
What if I register for the wrong level?
We don’t believe in limits. If you want to join the Blue Shell circuit, you will only find encouragement and support here. However, we do believe in fairness. If we feel you don’t belong in the Yellow Shell circuit, if your skills or partner doesn’t match the description of the circuit, we will advise you to switch over. For those that are borderline, we will suggest, but we will respect your decision.
Team Tournament Rules
– During Round Robin, all teams must play all 5 matches for every tie (note: when one team plays another team, it is called a “tie”). In the playoffs, once the outcome is decided, it is at the discretion of the winning team to play the final match.
– In case of teams finishing with identical results during Round Robin, the ranking will be decided based on the order below until a result can be decided:
1. Head to head tie result (if only two teams finish equal)
2. Matches won from the ties between teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal)
3. Sets won from the ties between teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal)
4. Total matches won in all ties
5. Total sets won in all ties
6. Total point difference between teams in question
7. Total point difference in all matches
8. Lottery draw
– Each registered player on the team may play a maximum of 2 matches per tie, but the same player may not play in the same event in each tie. i.e. A player cannot play in both Mixed Doubles A and Mixed Doubles B.
– Each registered player on the team must play at least two matches in the playoffs
on each day of the team championships.
– In the event that a team member have not played two matches in the playoffs
on the match day, there will be an automatic forfeit in the final game of the day equal to the amount of matches remaining that they are required to play.
Mixed Doubles A must be the stronger team, this will be determined via rankings and common sense.
*The governing body will reserve the right to change or add any rules with proper notification.
For the latest team tournament rules, please refer to the Official Team Tournament Guidelines of this year.